2019 HFH Illinois Conference
Thursday, November 7th & Friday, November 8th
Bloomington-Normal Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
201 Broadway Avenue
Normal, Illinois 61761
Get your hotel reservations booked early with a special Habitat rate!Conference Agenda
- Key State Accomplishments
- Habitat Hero Awards
- Inspirational Family Stories
- Affiliate Accomplishments & Highlights
- Economic Impact
Illinois affiliates operate 19 Habitat ReStores throughout the state. ReStores are retail stores that sell quality used and surplus building materials, appliances, furniture, and home accessories at a fraction of retail prices. Proceeds fund the construction of additional Habitat homes in the community.
Habitat for Humanity affiliates build and repair houses throughout the State of Illinois. On average, the 49 Habitat for Humanity affiliates in Illinois serve approximately 170 low-income families each year through new construction, rehab of existing homes and home repairs. Find a local affiliate to join the building efforts.
Habitat for Humanity’s advocacy is working to influence public opinion and decision-makers in all sectors to adopt policies and practices and transform systems that lead to the creation and preservation of housing for all, toward the goal of ending poverty worldwide. Take action and advocate for affordable housing.
Why Habitat for Humanity is Needed
An Urban Crisis.
Worldwide, some 827.6 million people live in urban slums and by 2020, it is estimated the world slum population will reach almost 1 billion. About 50 percent of the world’s population now live in urban areas and lack of clean water and sanitation claim the lives of more than 1.8 million young children every year.
The world is experiencing a global housing crisis
Cost of Living Rises
Minimum wage is not keeping up with the rising cost of living and many workers struggle to afford decent housing.
In the United States, 48.5 million people are living in poverty
Decent, stable housing provides more than just a roof over someone’s head
- Stability for families and children.
- Sense of dignity and pride.
- Health, physical safety and security.
- Increase of educational and job prospects.
A Healthier Family.
The transformational ability of good housing
- Clean, warm housing is essential for prevention and care of diseases of poverty like HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, diarrhea, and malaria.
- Children under 5 in Malawi living in Habitat for Humanity houses have 44 percent less malaria, respiratory or gastrointestinal diseases compared to children living in traditional houses
Housing must become a priority
- The percentage of people without access to decent, stable housing is rising.
- Increasing the housing supply across the globe is essential.
- Adequate housing is vitally important to the health of the world’s economies, communities and populations.
- If we are to succeed in the fight against poverty, we must support the expansion of housing both as policy and as practice.
Home Ownership Matters
Compared to children of renters (of the same age, income, race, etc.), children of homeowners are:
Home ownership Builds Stronger Communities.
Compared to renters (of the same age, income, race, etc.), homeowners: